WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
Personal information is information or data that can be used to identify or contact a specific person. Examples of personal information are your name, address and telephone number; your credit card information; and, your banking or financial information.
WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
The following are examples of the types of personal information that we collect.
Information That You Give Us. We receive and store personal information that you give us when you contact us, when you order products from us, when you register or activate a product that you've acquired from us, when you redeem a coupon or benefit from us, when you participate in one of our surveys or answer a questionnaire, or when you join or use a discussion group, forum or social network on our website. Where we ask you to provide personal information, you always have the choice of not providing the information. However, if you do so we may not be able to provide you with the service or benefit which you are requesting.
Interactive Information. We receive and store certain kinds of information when you communicate with us electronically. For example, when you use our website our systems may collect and analyze information such as: your Internet protocol (IP) address; your login information, information about the computer system you are using; information about which pages or products you have viewed or searched for, and information about your purchase history. Our systems may also exchange cookies with your computer system.
Information From Third Parties. From time to time, we may receive information about you from third parties who we deal with. For example, we receive delivery information from one of our carriers confirming delivery of a product that you have ordered from us.
WHAT ARE COOKIES?
Cookies are electronic identifiers in alphanumeric form that we may transfer to your computer system through your web browser when you are using our website. Cookies are very useful because they allow you to take advantage of some of the most important features of our website such as our electronic shopping cart and checkout. Other examples of things that cookies can do include: making sure you don't see the same ad repeatedly; delivering content specific to your interests; and, saving your password so you don't have to re-enter it each time you visit our site.
If you do not wish to receive cookies from us you can configure your browser so that it does not accept cookies which are provided by our systems.
WHAT DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR?
Personal information that we collect from you is used for a number of purposes such as:
· allowing us to keep you posted on new products and services that we offer and with information on upcoming promotions and/or events
· helping us to improve the content of our websites
· permitting us to better understand your needs and requirements
· communicating with you about your account and about changes to our terms, conditions and policies
· improving the management and development of HMVs business and operations
· performing research and data analysis so that we can improve our understanding of how you are using our websites
· allowing us to comply with legal and regulatory requirements
Unless you give us your consent, we do not use or disclose your personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected.
We may also collect non-personal information from you. Non-personal information is information that we collect which cannot be used to identify or contact a specific person. Some examples of non-personal information might include the following:
· information about a person's occupation, language, postal code, location or time zone
· information which tracks the number of views of a particular page or product on our website
In some cases, we may combine personal information with non-personal information. Where we do this, the combined information will be treated by us as if it were personal information for as long as it remains combined.
DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION TO THIRD PARTIES
From time to time, we may make certain personal information available to strategic partners that we work with. Examples of this include the following:
· Disclosure With Your Consent. We may disclose your personal information to third parties where you have given us your consent to do so.
· Third-Party Service Providers. We may employ third-party organizations who we contract with to provide products or services on our behalf. For example, if you order a product from us we may use a company to fulfill the product order and we may use a transportation company to deliver the product to you. We may also provide personal information to third party organizations to assist us in managing our mailing lists, managing our customer lists, conducting market surveys, supporting our marketing programs, processing credit card and online payments and providing customer service. The third-party service providers that we use are provided with access to your personal information in order to permit them to fulfill their contractual obligations to us, however, they may not use your personal information for any other purposes.
· Promotional Offers. From time to time we may send third-party product or promotional offers to selected groups of HMV customers. Where we do this, we do not share with the third-party any of your personal information.
· Business Evolution. As our business develops and grows we may sell or transfer certain HMV business assets to related parties or third parties. For example, in the unlikely event that HMV or substantially all of its assets are acquired, your personal information would be one of the acquired assets. Where this occurs, your personal information will remain subject to applicable privacy laws and to any applicable pre-existing HMV privacy notice or policy except where you have consented to the disclosure of your personal information.
· Legal Compliance. In some circumstances it may be necessary for us to disclose your personal information where we are required to do so by law or where we are required to comply with requests from public or governmental authorities.
· Protection of HMV and Others. It may be necessary for us to disclose your personal information where we determine that disclosure is necessary or appropriate in order to: (i) enforce any of the terms or conditions of any agreement made between us, (ii) to protect the rights, property or safety of HMV, or any HMV affiliate or subsidiary, (or) (iii) for purposes of national security, law enforcement or matters of public importance.
PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We use current security, administrative and technical measures to protect against loss, misuse and interception of your personal information by third parties. Online transactions use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) software to encrypt personal information that you send us as part of the transaction, however, you must use an SSL-enabled browser in order for this to work. When we confirm a credit card order we disclose only the last five digits of the credit card number (although we disclose the complete credit card information to the organization processing the credit card payment).
It is important that you understand that we cannot protect personal information which is disclosed by you to third parties and which it is your responsibility to protect from disclosure. For example, personal information which you disclose when using HMV services such as forums, chat rooms or social networks is liable to be read, collected and/or used by other users or third parties, who have access to that service. Likewise, it is important that you take steps to prevent unauthorized access to your computer system, your HMV account and your HMV password. HMV will not be liable for any disclosure of your personal information in these circumstances.
HOW CAN I ACCESS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
You can update the personal information on your HMV profile at any time by logging in and making changes to your profile. You can help to make sure that your contact information and preferences are accurate and complete by logging into your account whenever your personal information changes. For other personal information which is not captured on your HMV profile, we will attempt to provide you with access so that we can either correct it or delete it provided that we are not required to retain it for business or legal compliance reasons. We reserve the right to decline any request for access which we have reasonable grounds to believe is unwarranted, jeopardizes the privacy or security of others, is impracticable, or is not permitted or required by law.
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will retain your personal information only for as long as we continue to need it to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If we are notified that we have collected personal information of a child under 13, subject to verification, we will delete this information.